[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Mar 5 19:36:42 PST 2022

One of the points I tried to make in the talk that started this
discussion was that the Internet architecture moved mechanisms from the
"switching" to the "host" parts of the overall system, which has
significant impact on how you "operate" and optimize the pieces. Not
enough time to explain that very well though.

One of the results of that architecture is the necessity to look at the
whole picture to understand what is going on.   My "glitch on the
transpacific line" example required looking at both the
hosts/applications as well as the routers to understand why service had
slowed dramatically.

So, how can you be sure that CDNs necessarily "reduce overall work" by
placing CDN servers near a user community?

Another experiment I did involved the Internet pathways involving my
location, one in Reno nevada, and one in Los Angeles.  Reno is about 50
miles or so East of me.  LA is hundreds of miles south and west of me.

So a CDN builder might assume that it would be useful to place a CDN
cache in Reno as a close-by city.   But experimenting with traceroute
indicated that packets from me to Reno actually went west, not east,
travelled to LA, bounced around a few nodes in SoCal, and eventually
came back north and east to Reno.

So for me, a CDN in LA, hundreds of miles away, would be actually much
closer than one in Reno, 50 miles away.   It would be especially
inefficient if the ultimate source of the content was in the LA area.

Conclusion - you have to look at the whole system to understand what is
going on.

Jack