[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Mar 2 20:32:20 PST 2022

IMHO, many things also happen for non-technical and non-business
reasons.  Since multicast was needed for some uses of the 'net, but it
didn't actually get deployed widely in the Internet (whatever happened
to the Mbone...?), people figured out another way to provide it by
putting it in separate boxes (the CDNs) from the switches themselves.

I've always wondered if that same pattern drove the creation of TCP and
use of datagram mode.   The ARPANET was the only WAN of the day, and its
gurus were extremely reluctant to allow use of "uncontrolled packets"
(aka datagrams) for fear of bringing down the whole network.   I
recently found a 1975-era BBN report analyzing the TCP proposal and
concluding for DCA that it couldn't work.

So TCP was implemented in the host computers, where mere mortals could
get at the code.   Of course, TCP mechanisms duplicated the mechanisms
already in the ARPANET.   That's what I meant by "moving mechanisms from
switches to hosts:.  But that did enable us a few years later to simply
interconnect routers with wires, cutting the ARPANET out of the picture.

Jack