[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Mar 3 08:21:58 PST 2022

Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> IMHO, many things also happen for non-technical and non-business
> reasons.  Since multicast was needed for some uses of the 'net, but it
> didn't actually get deployed widely in the Internet (whatever happened
> to the Mbone...?), people figured out another way to provide it by
> putting it in separate boxes (the CDNs) from the switches themselves.
Come to think of it, for distributed simulation, DIS relies on
multicast, over the Defense Simulation Internet (at least it did, when I
was at MAK).  Meanwhile, MAK's DIS/HLA libraries can provide a
multi-cast overlay for both DIS and HLA.

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown