[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Mar 2 20:03:21 PST 2022

It appears that Noel Chiappa via Internet-history <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> said:
>    > On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 8:46 PM Jack Haverty wrote:
>
>    > One that I used in the talk was TOS, i.e., how should routers (and TCPs)
>    > treat datagrams differently depending on their TOS values.
>
>I actually don't think that's that important any more (or multicast either).
>TOS is only realy important in a network with resource limitations, or very
>different service levels. We don't have those any more - those limitations
>have just been engineered away.

That's not it, they came up against the impenetrable barrier of a
business model. We understand how to price peering and transit of
traffic where all packets are the same, but nobody has any idea how
you do it where some packets are more valuable.

I never figured out why multicast failed.  It is bizarre that people are dumping
cable service which has 100 channels multicast to all of the customers in favor
of point-to-point service where you frequently have a zillion people streaming
separate copies of the same thing, e.g., a football game.  We fake it with CDNs
that position servers inside retail networks but really, it's multicast.

R's,
John