[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Timothy J. Salo salo at saloits.com
Wed Mar 2 19:33:40 PST 2022

On 3/2/2022 10:22 AM, Noel Chiappa via Internet-history wrote:
> ... I actually don't think that's that important any more (or multicast either).
> TOS is only realy important in a network with resource limitations, or very
> different service levels. We don't have those any more - those limitations
> have just been engineered away.  ...

I don't believe that these limitations have been engineered away in all
parts of the Internet (depending on how far you believe the Internet
extends).

Mobile wireless networks may still have limited and/or rapidly varying
bandwidths.

I understand that many wireless tactical networks still have fairly
limited bandwidths.

mmWave 5G service seems to have made this worse.  Bandwidths,
even connectivity, can vary rapidly and dramatically, over short
time frames and distances. See, for example,

   "A First Look at Commercial 5G Performance on Smartphones"
   <https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3366423.3380169>

-tjs