[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Mar 2 14:55:54 PST 2022

On 3/1/22 7:27 PM, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via Internet-history
wrote:

> curious if anyone has a copy or memory of what
> the Long List of Things That Had To Be Figured Out Someday?

My list begins with an association protocol layer - what ISO/OSI called
the "session" layer, but nothing as incomprehensibly overburdened and
extensive as what they had.

On the net we have a lot of "association" context that can transcend the
lifetime of a single transport connection.

That sort of thing would have been useful to avoid the triangular
routing used in mobile IP.

And it would have obviated a lot of cookie usage on the web.

Same for crypto context in things like DTLS.

Basically an association layer would let the end applications
established named markers during their conversation.  Then when a
transport broke and was re-established the two end-points would say
"where were we when we last spoke?"  They would use the association
protocol to find the last agreed-upon name.  It would be up to the
applications to remember what they each did after that name and how to
deal with it - sort of like a journaled file system.

Such a protocol would not require any storage in the protocol stack -
that would be in the applications who need to remember what they did
after the last agreed-upon named checkpoint.

	--karl--