[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Mar 2 08:22:34 PST 2022

    > On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 8:46 PM Jack Haverty wrote:

    > One that I used in the talk was TOS, i.e., how should routers (and TCPs)
    > treat datagrams differently depending on their TOS values.

I actually don't think that's that important any more (or multicast either).
TOS is only realy important in a network with resource limitations, or very
different service levels. We don't have those any more - those limitations
have just been engineered away.

At some level, I'd say the real issues havn't changed - the routing
architecture is a joke of a kludge; and trying to use one 'name' to identify
both *who* a node is, and *where* it is, is ludicrous. But neither one of
those is a clear issue today (either, with TOS), and fixing either one would
now have a cost many orders of magnitude higher than if we'd tackled them back
when.

The biggest issue I see is actually not in the network at all - it's the
structure of the users' nodes that are plugged into it. Specifically, they
don't have a robust security architecure, to prevent infection, theft of data,
surveillance, etc. Software companies have almost always prioritized
user-visible features over *real* security (constant new releaases to 'fix'
security bugs notwithstanding), and nothing has changed - or will.

	Noel