[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Mar 2 08:50:49 PST 2022

Just a general comment:

Of COURSE the Internet was never finished.  It's become an organism (or
a "self-organizing complex adaptive system" - chose your preferred
terminology).  We planted some seeds, they grew, and now the Internet
(and the system-of-systems of which it is a part) is evolving under it's
own steam.

Let's just hope it doesn't become self-aware, and all the world's phones
don't all ring at the same time.  (Anybody else here read Arthur
Clarke's "Dial For Frankenstein?"  "“For homo sapiens, the telephone
bell had tolled.”)

Cheers,

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown