[ih] Internet sounds

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:34:13 PDT 2022

On 27-Apr-22 09:48, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) via Internet-history wrote:
>> For instance, I remember the clatter of teletypes, Telebit and Hayes
>> modem tones, VT52 buzzes, the RF interference caused screeches from
>> the AM radio perched near IMP #1, the PC/IP telnet "chirp", the
>> sound of a DECwriter, etc.
>
> These are all generic computer sounds.  Nothing to do with the Internet
> per se. (Well, okay, the IMP :-))
>
> For me, the first "sound" that I would definitively associate with
> the Internet specifically is Carl Malamud's _Internet Talk Radio_
> program from 1993.

"On June 24, 1993, the band Severe Tire Damage was the first to
perform live on the Mbone."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbone#History)

But there was audio and video using early versions of VIC/VAT before
1993. I was in a transatlantic teleconf at UCL in 1991, and I seem to
remember remote audio in the very early days of RIPE (1989?).

Archives from those days may be hard to find, however. Mark Handley
might have some pointers for the UCL work.

Regards
    Brian