[ih] ARPANET uncontrolled packets (was: GOSIP & compliance)

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:43:50 PDT 2022

i think the point about the type 0 subtype 3 is that they may not have been
reassembled and might have had limits as to size (unlike the 8000 bit
"message"). As I recall they were "uncontrolled" which means the space
reservation protocol was not in force for them. Since these were used for
voice (and maybe video), they might have been limited to single packet size
(1000+ bits) and were not assured of delivery.

Steve Casner, any more specifics? Copying Bob Kahn in case he is not on the
internet-history list

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 12:27 PM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <