[ih] ARPANET uncontrolled packets (was: GOSIP & compliance)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Apr 4 09:27:43 PDT 2022

Guilty!  I've always found it difficult to get the correct terminology.

Actually, thinking and remembering a bit more, to be even more precise
those "type 0, subtype 3" globs of bits weren't "packets" either.   They
were "messages", passed back and forth between a Host and its attached
IMP.   The IMP carved those messages up and put the data into one or
more "packets" which were what actually got sent over the wires.
Actually, there may have been more technical chicanery involved there,
with things like "frames" in the mix.  At the final IMP in the path, all
those "packets" were "reassembled" and the data delivered to the Host in
"messages".   But I don't recall if the receiving Host could tell that
an incoming message was sent out as a type 0, subtype 3 from the
transmitting Host.

IIRC, it was the IMP-to-IMP packets which were uncontrolled, and handled
outside the normal mechanisms of error control, flow control, congestion
control, etc.  I don't think I ever knew exactly how all that worked --
but the old IMP code is available online should anyone be curious.

Then of course if you looked more closely, you might see that the TCPs
involved were sending and receiving data from their users' application
programs.  At one point there were even "Letters" passing across that
interface, which the TCP would carve up into "datagrams", which it might
supply to an attached ARPANET port as "messages".  Somewhere down the
path, a Gateway might receive a message, determin that it wouldn't fit
into the next network, so it would carve up the datagram into
"fragments", which were themselves smaller datagrams, leaving putting it
all back together as a challenge for the TCP running in the Host at the
ultimate destination.

Complicating things even further, if the applications involved were
transferring electronic mail, they would be also accepting "messages"
from human users, carving them up into "letters" for TCP, which would
carve them up into "datagrams", which might become a string of a
different kind of "messages", which might become a gaggle of "packets",
with "fragments" spontaneously appearing in the fray from time to
time.   The life of a bit in its travels through the Internet is crazy
and frenetic.   Ask any bit which has gotten discarded along the way and
now lies in a bit bucket somewhere in the net.

There just weren't enough words to precisely describe the carnage
involved in computer networking...reminds me of those old late-night TV
ads "It slices, it chops, it dices, it shreds!  Call this number to
order your Acme Kitchen Wizard!  Call now and get two for the price of one!"

Jack Haverty