[ih] Six modems

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Nov 15 20:14:48 PST 2021

Jorge,

Your comment about 6 modems got my attention.  I had not paid a lot of
attention to BBN report 1763.  It was written at the very beginning of
the Arpanet contract work in January 1969.

By the time BBN released BBN 1822 in April or May 1969, the IMP was capable
of handling up to four hosts.  I believe this was a change from the
original plan to have just one host on an IMP.

Alex or others can comment more authoritatively, but it seems clear -- or
at least plausible -- that seven places existed within the chassis to put
interfaces.  When the focus was on just one host, that left room for a
maximum of six modems.  As the design progressed, it seems they changed
their design to a max of four hosts and a max of four modems, with a limit
of seven for both.

I also recall that as the interfaces became more varied -- host interface,
distant host (DH) interface, very distant host (VDH) interface -- there
were other constraints.  IIRC, the number 19 figured into the equation,
Each interface consumed some number of whatever the quantity was.  I think
the VDH interface consumed something like four units, but a regular host
interface consumed only two.  But I haven't checked the documentation and
am not certain of the specifics.

Steve