[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 09:39:35 PST 2021

 The IMP could have up to 7 connected devices total.  Up to 5 could be phone lines.  Up to 4 could be hosts. The terminal handling portion of the TIP counted as a host.  [When the Very Distant Host Interface was introduced in the mid-1970's it counted as 2 devices.]  There was one ARPAnet circuit that ran at 230kbps (within NASA AMES) and two that ran at 19.2kbps (US to Norway, and Norway to England).  As far as I can recall, all the rest ran at 50kbps.
Cheers,Alex