[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Nov 15 19:07:05 PST 2021

I believe the first batch of IMPs were capable of handling up to four hosts
and up to four 50kbs communication lines, but the total was limited to 7.
The limitation of 7 interfaces was due to the physical slots inside the
machine, not a bandwidth limitation.

And, yes, the communication lines were 50 kbs using Western Electric 303A
modems.  The modem sprayed the data across 12 twelve(!) voice grade analog
lines.  Digital communication lines came along later.

Steve