[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Nov 15 08:59:40 PST 2021

    > From: Jorge Amodio

    > Just as a time reference the first Proteon router, the p4200 was
    > released in 1986, can't find now what processor they used

It was an MC68K, but that was _MUCH_ later; the BBN router (called 'gateway'
then) was operating almost a _decade_ earlier, in 1977.

    > From: Clem Cole

    > in fact, Proteon made one using a cheap wintel frame and putting ISA
    > cards into it

Yeah, the 4100, after the Multibus-based 4200, as a cheaper but slower
alternative. I forget what kind of CPU it had; I think maybe a 386, but it
might have been a 286.

I'm trying to remember what kind of Intel machine I first brought the CGW up
on; I think it was a 286, because I distinctly recall an acerbic exchange
with the people at Kaypro (I had a Kaypro 286 machine - my first 386 was an
HP), I wanted to use their BIOS for console I/O, with my C version of MOS as
the basic OS, and I was irked that unlike IBM, they didn't make their BIOS
code (actually, they licensed someone else's) openly available. I threatened
that I'd disassemble the code, and release it! In the end I figured out how to
used BIOS calls to do it.

   Noel