[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Bill Nowicki winowicki at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 09:30:42 PST 2021

My perspective: the routers based on the Stanford University Network modules that Andy Bechtolscheim designed in 1980 (which evolved into the Cisco router) used the Motorola 68000, and before that was the work Noel did at MIT, and of course the "fuzz balls" of David Mills at U Del on the LSI-11. So late 1970s is probably the time you are looking for.
Bill    On Monday, November 15, 2021, 08:59:45 AM PST, Noel Chiappa via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

     > From: Jorge Amodio

    > Just as a time reference the first Proteon router, the p4200 was
    > released in 1986, can't find now what processor they used

It was an MC68K, but that was _MUCH_ later; the BBN router (called 'gateway'
then) was operating almost a _decade_ earlier, in 1977.

    > From: Clem Cole

    > in fact, Proteon made one using a cheap wintel frame and putting ISA
    > cards into it

Yeah, the 4100, after the Multibus-based 4200, as a cheaper but slower
alternative. I forget what kind of CPU it had; I think maybe a 386, but it
might have been a 286.

I'm trying to remember what kind of Intel machine I first brought the CGW up
on; I think it was a 286, because I distinctly recall an acerbic exchange
with the people at Kaypro (I had a Kaypro 286 machine - my first 386 was an
HP), I wanted to use their BIOS for console I/O, with my C version of MOS as
the basic OS, and I was irked that unlike IBM, they didn't make their BIOS
code (actually, they licensed someone else's) openly available. I threatened
that I'd disassemble the code, and release it! In the end I figured out how to
used BIOS calls to do it.

  Noel