[ih] Origins of Go-Back-N

Bob Purvy bpurvy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 09:44:42 PST 2021

Since we're going back to the pre-Morse era:

I'm currently (re)reading *The Count of Monte Cristo*, and you may dimly
recall that the Count pays a visit to a telegraph station, in about 1829.
He befriends and bribes the telegraph operator, whose job it is to see the
signals from his next neighbor and faithfully relay them. He has to stop
operating when it's foggy.

*Spoiler alert*: the Count bribes him enough to retire, and then has him
relay a false signal that causes his nemesis M. Danglars to lose a million
francs. This book has been made into a movie at least four times, so I'm
eager to see how they treat this episode (or if they do).

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure this is all in Wikipedia. I don't want to hear about
it 😎

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 9:15 AM touch--- via Internet-history <