[ih] Origins of Go-Back-N

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 13:27:46 PST 2021

On 15-Nov-21 06:15, touch--- via Internet-history wrote:
> Hi, John,
>
> I don’t know the first instance of go-back-N, but selective repeat (in this case, selective NACK) was used by Edelcrantz in the Swiss countryside optical telegraph in roughly 1800 according to Wikipedia (I’ve seen similar descriptions in a little book the IEEE published on the history of telecom). The details of Chappe’s optical telegraph in France weren’t documented, so may have had similar functions and predate this.
>
> I wouldn’t be surprised if go-back-N had origins near that time
or before.

In human speech, I would guess that "Say again!" or its equivalent has been in use for at least 100,000 years. So Go-Back-N would always have been
obvious to one skilled in the art of conversation.

More recently, I believe one needs to look at codes like AA in radiotelegraphy, e.g.
"AA All after … (used after a question mark in radiotelegraphy or
after RQ
in radiotelephony (in case of language difficulties) or after RPT, to
request a repetition)." [Rec. ITU-R M.1172] I don't know how old that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARQ-M describes Automatic Repeat reQuest, Multiplex, dated 1947.

    Brian