[ih] Origins of Go-Back-N

touch at strayalpha.com touch at strayalpha.com
Sun Nov 14 09:15:00 PST 2021

Hi, John,

I don’t know the first instance of go-back-N, but selective repeat (in this case, selective NACK) was used by Edelcrantz in the Swiss countryside optical telegraph in roughly 1800 according to Wikipedia (I’ve seen similar descriptions in a little book the IEEE published on the history of telecom). The details of Chappe’s optical telegraph in France weren’t documented, so may have had similar functions and predate this.

I wouldn’t be surprised if go-back-N had origins near that time or before.

Joe

—
Joe Touch, temporal epistemologist
www.strayalpha.com