[ih] Anyone know about Unison Online Service from back in 1985-1987?

Dan York york at isoc.org
Sun May 16 18:28:50 PDT 2021

Low priority question for the group - anyone know about “Unison Online Service” that was apparently an online service from 1985-1987?

In my personal late-night Wikipedia editing, I came across a notice that this page has no references supporting any of the text, seems to have been created BY the person originally involved (Fred Dudden), and should probably be deleted (given that there are no sources that talk about the service):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unison_Online_Service

The editor raising this point asked, before kicking off the deletion process, if anyone had any info about the service, or any links to online sources or journals that might have any info about it. The idea being to establish that the service was “notable” enough to warrant a Wikipedia page.

In doing some various searches, I couldn’t find any sources with info, but thought I’d ask here. If anyone remembers that service or can point to any info about it, I would appreciate the info.

And if not, that’s fine, too. I just thought I’d ask.

Dan

P.S. I also looked in the good old book “!%@::” from O’Reilly (1994 version) and found no reference, but the book was looking mostly at larger networks. This service sounds like it might have been a BBS someone was running.