[ih] DNS origins?

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Thu Jun 10 04:01:37 PDT 2021

That falls under the don't believe everything you read category.

I had zero influence on the early DNS.  My role was as an early adopter. I
was the person CSNET tagged to make sure the DNS worked for our users.  So
I did a lot of testing of BIND for Kevin. Rewriting MMDF for the DNS, I
realized that MD/MF RRs didn't work and proposed a fix Jon hated and so Jon
tasked me (with help from Paul and some others) to find a better solution,
which was MX RRs.  Finally, as part of the debugging process I got drawn
into finalizing the initial list of TLDs -- so you can (largely) blame me
for .NET

Craig

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 5:00 PM Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <

> fwiw "where wizards stay up late" page 252 says
>
> "The core of the DNS team was Jon Postel and Paul Mockapetris at ISI, and
> BBN's Craig Partridge. They spent three months working out the details and
> in November 1983 came forward with two RFCs..."
>
> I assume that BIND came a bit later.
>
> Regards
>    Brian Carpenter
>
> On 10-Jun-21 05:11, Kevin J Dunlap via Internet-history wrote:
> > Yes, at UC Berkeley Computer Systems Research Group,
> > Douglas Terry, Mark Painter, David Riggle, and Songnian Zhou made up the
> initial BIND project team.
> > Doug was working on his PhD and the others were working on their masters.
> >
> > Paul Mockapetris would know better about Doug's contribution to DNS RFC.
> >
> > RFC 833 was already written by the time I started working on DNS.
> > I worked on BIND and 4.3BSD Unix from 1985 - 1987 at UCB CSRG.
> >
> > -Kevin
> >

> > Younr message dated: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 09:14:49 PDT
> >> Just got pointed at Doug Terry's resume, which includes:
> >>
> >>      "co-designed the Domain Name System (DNS)"
> >>
> >> Apparently this was while he was a doctoral student at Berkeley.(*)
> >>
> >> I don't recall hearing of his contribution to the initial protocol
> >> design effort.
> >>
> >> In fact, I'm pretty fuzzy about the process that produced the initial
> RFC.
> >>
> >> Anyone able/willing to comment?
> >>
> >> tnx.
> >>
> >> d/
> >> --
> >> Dave Crocker
> >> Brandenburg InternetWorking
> >> bbiw.net
> >> --

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and