[ih] DNS origins?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Jun 10 03:47:35 PDT 2021

That is correct.  As an undergrad, I had second semester (~67-8) Circuit Theory from Slottow. ;-)

In 1975, after putting the first Unix on the ’Net, we stripped down Unix to put it on an LSI-11 in a pedestal with floppy drive, a Plato Plasma screen sitting on top to which we added ’touch’ to create an ‘intelligent terminal’ for a land-use management database system for the 6 counties around Chicago. It had a keyboard but it was seldom needed. The terminal was all menu driven, could plot different forms of graphs (bar, line, circle, etc.) and draw maps down to the section* (square mile) with different patterns, but of course monochrome. (I wrote the mapping software.)

So this was undoubtedly the first plasma screen “personal computer” ;-)  There were several done for the land-use system and several deployed with in the DoD in at least DC and Hawaii and perhaps elsewhere, that I don’t remember.

* The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 required the then Northwest Territories (Ohio to Illinois and north) to be surveyed into 1 mile squares called Sections, 6 x 6 sections is a township. Which is why you see a grid when flying over it. The country roads tend to run on the section lines.

Take care,
John