[ih] DNS origins?

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Thu Jun 10 15:06:21 PDT 2021

the Intel 8086 GRiD Compass and it's GRiDOS operating system was quite the
cat's meow for its day:
- a multitasking OS with dynamic memory management
- a networked file system that operated on a LAN as well as over the PSTN
at 1200 baud to GRiD Central (or to ones LAN Server... yours truly had one
of these in at home :-)
- an "eStore" capability, where one could/would purchase sw and download it
- no moving parts with Bubble Memory storage

for more, check out this report covering the Grid Compass panel discussion,
which was held March 15, 2006 at the Computer History Museum in Mt View, CA:

"*Pioneering the Laptop: Engineering the GRiD Compass*"
https://www.sigcis.org/weissberger_grid_full

geoff

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 4:14 PM Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <