[ih] DNS origins?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jun 9 15:01:27 PDT 2021

It's been a long time....   I remember the debate, and that it was
somewhere in California.  I thought it was San Diego, but might have
been PARC.  There was a large auditorium with theater-style seating
where the discussion occurred.

This meeting may have happened before the D appeared in DNS.  There had
been ongoing discussions of how to do a Name Server for the Internet,
since the ARPANET style mechanism using a file at SRI-NIC couldn't
handle the obvious impending torrent of workstations on LANs that TCP
made possible for the network community.   It was one of the topics on
the ICCB's list of "things we have to work on". Jon had published
several IENs on "Internet Name Server", starting IIRC with #61.

The discussion I remember concerned the methods and timing involved in
updating a name/address pair when there was a collection of servers on
the Internet.   The "simple" mechanism could take as much as a day or so
for any change to propagate out to reach all the servers.  That was of
course incompatible with the changes expected with mobile hosts, or even
LANs.   It was obvious even then that it was much easier to move a
Sparcstation than a PDP-10.   I don't recall anyone ever mentioning
smartphones or Dick Tracy watches as perhaps the ultimate "mobile
host".   But we have them today and the Internet still seems to work...

The early versions of the protocol, again IIRC, structured names
somewhat like IP addresses, with "Net" and "Rest" parts.   But that
would have problems if a computer moved from one network to another (no
one had laptops yet...and no wifi either)

So, at some point that "Internet Name Server" approach was changed to
incorporate Domains so that names didn't necessarily correspond to any
physical network structure, and anybody could pick whatever names they
wanted in their own world/domain.

Roughly at about the same time, Jon Schoch wrote his seminal "Names,
Addresses, and Routes" paper, which brought a lot of thinking into a
cohesive idea.   Xerox protocols (PUP et al) had their own schemes for
naming, and PARC people did participate in Internet meetings. History
IMHO should look at what was going on in other communities at the same
time.  The Internet did not evolve in a vacuum.

I remember all this stuff happening (and namedroppers, another of those
mailing lists where lots of technical interaction happened). But dates -
not so much...   So, depending on what the "origins of DNS" means, I'd
point to Jon's earliest IEN as the start of Name Servers on the Internet.

/Jack