[ih] Update on filtered list posts

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Tue Sep 15 16:14:27 PDT 2020

Hi,

Same disclaimer as before.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 03:51:37PM -0700, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
>discussions to reach History, maybe Joe can describe what the ISOC's
>position is on this kind of content they host (or other stuff for that
>matter).
>
>E.g., will this list be archived "forever"?   Will the contents always
>be free for future people to search/access?  What will happen if/when
>the ISOC disappears, e.g. do they have some arrangement for the future
>with some other organization?

The Internet Society is a 501(c)(3) based in the US with charitable purposes[1] that include educating the academic and scientific communities about the Internet (you can see the formal verbiage at https://www.internetsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Form_1023_IRS.pdf).  The Internet Society's Board of Trustees is currently appointed by ISOC Chapters, the Internet Engineering Task Force (via the IAB), and ISOC Organizational Members. So, while I cannot promise that the Internet Society will never disappear, be turned into a stone, be taken over by evil and incompetent management [2], or other such things, I think ISOC has a pretty serious commitment to maintaining a home for the list and its archives.  We work hard, for instance, not to lose any material on our own web site or break any URLs (although from time to time things happen when, um, an unfortunate past technology choice is discovered).  Certainly, as long as I have anything to say about it, the list and archive will be supported and kept available.

As I noted in my other post, the list service itself is operated by the same people as the IETF lists, with a similar standard of care, so we can be confident that hardware failures or the like won't magically make things disappear into thin air.

I don't know whether that's adequate to answer your question, but it's what I can provide.

Best regards,

[1] Obligatory pitch: anyone can be a member, and you are welcome to donate to us too!
[2] Yes, yes, I know what someone is going to say ;-)

--
Andrew Sullivan
ajs at crankycanuck.ca