[ih] Interop as part of Internet History (was Re: Fwd: Fwd: List archives (Was: Exterior Gateway Protocol))

Dan Lynch dan at lynch.com
Thu Sep 10 09:10:00 PDT 2020

Jack, you have a remarkable memory. A few edits.

The chocolate chip cookies at the Doubletree Hotel in Monterey were definitely addictive. I was lucky when we moved to Santa Clara and there was a Doubletree Hotel there.

Because I was a computer center guy I knew what the buyers wanted to see and hear. No marketing hype, just technical details, or speeds and feeds as it was called in those days. Price, performance and delivery was all we wanted to see.

I remember that for a few years Interop facilitated the IETF meetings because it was easy for us (it was our business) and it built an affinity with the brain trust of the evolving Internet. Somehow NSF or DARPA insisted on paying us for that activity. It was $50k. It certainly cost us more than that to do the work, but we didn’t care. After a while I got the letter from some bureaucrat saying they wanted to audit the contract. Yikes. I had done audit before and they are costly to do. I quickly figured out that I could just give back the $50k and there would be no audit!  Much cheaper!

Oh, Vint, I sold Interop to Ziff-Davis Publishing. A few years later they sold it to SoftBank for a 3-400% profit.

Fun times for many.

Dan

Cell 650-776-7313