[ih] NO "settlements" as part of Internet History

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Sun Sep 13 18:11:28 PDT 2020

guy, yours truly would Dearly Love for you (and/or anyone else, Pretty
Please!) to chime in and say more here vis-a-vis the history of this
subject matter and more BEYOND the 1991 era!

a clarification and expansion vis-a-vis

"The term "settlements" was indeed used, though I don't recall
anyone suggesting anything like the X.25/X.75 model of per-"call"
money changing hands."

yours truly used the word "calls" specifically because, like as/in the
voice landline Public Switched Telephone Networks (PSTN), the X.25/X.75
networks use(d) Virtual Circuits for End-To-End connections and thusly
charged users accordingly:

in the voice based PSTN the fee/charge/tariff was for the length of time a
call: from the receipt by the callers switch of Answer Supervision on the
receiving end Switch until call termination.

On the X.25/X.75 data networks not only were you charged a fee for the
length of time the Virtual Circuit was established/up/connected, but were
also docked an additional fee -- per some unit (IIRC, KB) -- for/of data
sent/received over the Virtual Circuit "call".

luckly, in the Internet "model" we have/had a Sender Keeps All (the
revenue) Model with NO inter carrier/inter networking Settlements for our
data connections/transmissions (nee "calls" :D)

geoff

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM *Guy Almes <galmes at tamu.edu

Geoff.Goodfellow at iconia.com
living as The Truth is True