[ih] FTP RIP

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Thu Oct 1 14:31:04 PDT 2020

IIRC, ITS with its COMSAT mailer was the first ARPANET host to support
mailing lists where one could send to MailingListName at MIT-{AI,DM,MC,ML} and
the COMSAT MTA would then "automatically" sent out to others (without any
human interaction for such memorable lists such as HUMAN-NETS, SF-LOVERS,
HEADER-PEOPLE, TELECOM, etc.]

TENEX -- which pretty much "ruled" the ARPANET at the time (:D) -- (never?)
had no such capability... mailing lists like Peter Neumann's RISKS-FORUM
which yours truly setup when at/in SRI-CSL and Einar
Stefferud's MSGGROUP at USC-ISI collected submissions in a files only
directory like <RISKS> & <MSGGROUP> to which the list admin/moderator would
then invoke an UI (like MSG) on to manually forward (or "ReDistribute" in
HERMES) to the list members -- who were manually added or subtracted to a
file.

IIRC, this was pretty much the state of affairs until Unix (and MTA's such
as delivermail, sendmail, MMDF, ...) came along for which majordomo was
piped to, which then introduced automated list management... cue to: Mr.
Email aka Dave Crocker.. :D

// geoff

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:52 AM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <