[ih] FTP RIP

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 1 14:37:53 PDT 2020

On 10/1/2020 2:31 PM, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow wrote:
> IIRC, this was pretty much the state of affairs until Unix (and MTA's
> such as delivermail, sendmail, MMDF, ...) came along for which majordomo
> was piped to, which then introduced automated list management... cue to:
> Mr. Email aka Dave Crocker.. :D

I certainly recall that Stef's list and Postel's RFC distribution mails
were manual ^b inclusions to sndmsg.

MMDF had a mailing list channel circa 1979, which I assume counts as
late, for this discussion.

I don't remember whether sendmail's predecessor, delivermail, had such a
capability, but 'alias' mechanisms date back pretty far and were often
used as an implicit mailing list.

d/