[ih] NCP, TCP/IP question

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Tue Mar 10 05:34:32 PDT 2020

there was a substantive change to the file system between Tenex (BBN) and
TOPS-20 (DEC) in that TOPS-20 was much more robust and didn't require
CHECKDISK (and also optionally  BSYS Verify) to be run at (re)boot time.

Dan Lynch hacked CHECKDISK to speed up significantly by creating a FORK
(process) for each disk drive... as the CHECKDISKing took longer and longer
as more and more washing machine disk drives got added. :D

the TOPS-20 file system also had the ability to have sub-directories which
was lacking on Tenex... and file version numbers went from ;'s to .'s...

sadly, there are no Tenex systems on the net today that yours truly is away
of, but if you wish a trip down memory lane: there are a couple of
free/public access TOPS-20 systems available at https://sdf.org/twenex/ which
you can SSH into with "ssh twenex at sdf.org" as well as at
https://livingcomputers.org/ which you can SSH into with ssh
toad2 at tty.livingcomputermuseum.org

geoff

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 11:16 PM Steve Crocker via Internet-history <