[ih] Early IoT: anyone remember The Internet Toaster and Crane? :D

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Sun Jul 12 18:48:40 PDT 2020

the waiter had to be:

... Jeff Rubin, a systems programmer at Stanford's Artificial Intelligence
Laboratory, even worked for Mr. Kao as a waiter in exchange for Chinese
lessons. Which is why Mark Seiden, a veteran programmer, remembers one day
when a manager of the laboratory came to lunch with a Digital Equipment
salesman.

At one point the two were arguing about a technical detail, and the manager
called a halt to the debate.

''There is no point in arguing,'' he said. ''We can settle this very
easily. Let's ask the waiter.''

''Can you tell us about the cache on the KL 10?'' the laboratory manager
asked Mr. Rubin.

''It's a 32K two-way set associative cache,'' he replied, and then walked
away, leaving the salesman's mouth hanging open.

*Palo Alto Journal; Hackers Enjoy One Last Meal From the Master of .com
Cuisine*
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/11/us/palo-alto-journal-hackers-enjoy-one-last-meal-from-the-master-of-com-cuisine.html