[ih] Early IoT: anyone remember The Internet Toaster and Crane? :D

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jul 9 17:04:12 PDT 2020

On 7/9/2020 6:05 AM, Vint Cerf via Internet-history wrote:
> Stanford AI Lab had a vending machine for food and other stuff

My introduction to pot sticker's was at one of the later incarnations of
Louie's restaurant, near Stanford.  My hosts explained that the pot
stickers were quite popular at the AI lab and that it was one of the
items stocked in this vending machine.  They really were superb.

My mind went to the logistics challenges, so I noted that that created a
requirement for restocking and asked how that was done.  It was
explained to me that whenever the machine ran out, whoever noticed would
just call Louie for a fresh batch and whoever was at Louie's from the
lab would bring the order back.

Ever pragmatic, I noted that carried the onerous requirement to always
have someone from the lab be at Louie's.

Just about then, a re-order phone call came in and some guy from the lab
did take the order back.  Louie's was quite popular.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking