[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 10, Issue 17

John Shoch j at shoch.com
Thu Jul 9 21:03:21 PDT 2020

We built on the original Ethernet and PUP, realizing fairly quickly that we
needed flat, unique, 48-bit addresses for both the 2nd generation Ethernet
(with DEC and Intel, and then IEEE) and the XNS design.  [There was the day
someone moved an Alto from one early Ethernet to another, and we
accidentally had two machines with identical network-dependent addresses on
the same network, talking to the same gateway....."Houston, we have a
problem."  A small preview of mobile systems.]

What an amazing insight -- but, sadly, not mine.
I have often said this is the best networking paper I wish I had written,
by Dalal and Printis, published 39 years ago:
"48-bit absolute internet and Ethernet host numbers"
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/xerox/parc/techReports/OPD-T8101_48-Bit_Absolute_Internet_and_Ethernet_Host_Numbers.pdf
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/1013879.802680

The prophetic last line of the paper:  "We encourage designers of other
local computer networks and distributed systems to use absolute
host numbers from our 48-bit address space. "
Worked for the Ethernet.........