[ih] SIP and ENUM

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Jul 6 22:02:07 PDT 2020

> On Jul 7, 2020, at 6:50 AM, John Gilmore via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
>>> Doesn't "register" have something to do with "pay"?
>>
>> No, it has to do with being able to receive calls without sitting on a
>> static IP address or depending on dynamic DNS to find you.
>
> So why doesn't it let me *initiate* a call without needing to register
> with a server in order to do something I don't want to do, *receive* a
> call?
>
> And why does it assume that the initiator has no static IP address and
> no dynamic DNS name?

Because that was H.323.  The entire purpose of SIP was to overcome exactly those limitations of H.323.  If you want to use H.323, use H.323 or write your own RTP implementation that doesn’t use SIP..  If you want to be able to talk to people who are mobile, use SIP.

This question is exactly the same as asking why IMAP clients refuse to just speak SMTP directly to each other.  Of course it would be _possible_ to write an SMTP MUA, but what would be the point? The three people in the world who would each use it once to show that they could are all perfectly happy writing their email by opening a connection to port 25 and mashing keys anyway.

                                -Bill