[ih] Protocol numbers (was IP version 7)

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 21:06:14 PST 2020

SATNET was relied upon for access especially in the UK and later and in
more limited ways in Italy and Germany. I don't remember whether the
internal satellite link to NORSAR/NDRE was terminated when SATNET went
"operational" but the NDRE/UCL link did go away and Peter Kirstein
essentially ran the US/UK gateway including access controls. There was also
X.25/X.75 traffic between US and UK as I recall. I don't know when the
first trans-Atlantic optical cables went into operation but it can't have
been much sooner than mid-late 1980s?

Does anyone on the list know more about the period of dependency on SATNET
before trans-Atlantic cable connections were made?