[ih] Protocol numbers (was IP version 7)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Dec 24 14:42:14 PST 2020

Yes, that all agrees with my recollections.   Barry took over just about
the time I was moved away from the research side.

When I said "operational", I was thinking of the 24x7 reliable service
mode, in contrast to the experimental mode where the networks were
functioning only for tests.  Getting SATNET and the core Gateways to be
"operational" involved developing tools, procedures, and mechanisms for
keeping the network running as a reliable service, with operators in the
NOC doing constant monitoring and reacting to any issues.   So IMHO
SATNET was definitely "operational", and its first (and only AFAIK) user
community was the Europeans.

A better term might be "fielded", i.e., operational in the DoD-world
end-user deployments.   That was the target of the "pipeline" from
research to the field.   ARPANET made that journey, becoming the DDN.
The Internet gateways also made that journey.

AFAIK, nothing else did.  SATNET-->MATNET and PRNet-->FtBragg were the
projects that progressed the farthest that I knew about.

During the research phase, I remember that one of the attractions of the
SATNET technology was that it could provide reliable communications
between terrestrial sites, without relying on circuits.   That was
applicable in situations like an embassy communicating with DC, where
the embassy might be in a country where regular phone lines were
compromised.

When I was involved with DDN, I don't remember the problem ever coming
up, so perhaps there was just no need to push that research further down
the pipeline.  So I guess SATNET was never brought to the field.

/Jack