[ih] Today’s Internet Still Relies on an ARPANET-Era Protocol: The Request for Comments (Steve Crocker)

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Sat Aug 8 00:56:56 PDT 2020

Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Geoff Goodfellow wrote:
>> you'll need to ^Z (Ctrl-Z) to get ITS attention
> I should know that, damn it.  But... It doesn't work.  Probably need
> to fiddle with my telnet config.

I tried it just now, and someone had left their session hanging.
I typed $$U to log it off ($ is altmode).

A complete minimal session should look like this:

  Connected to the KA-10 simulator DPK device, line 1
[Type ^Z here]
  ITS.724. DDT.354.
  3. USERS
  $$u
  ITS 724  CONSOLE 22 FREE. 09:44:28

Display programs like PEEK will output Datapoint cursor movements.

> Or just download the emulator and build it on my laptop.  (Hmmm.... I
> wonder if it would compile for an Android phone!)

The emulators are mostly tested on Linux, but for the most part BSD,
macOS, and even Windows may work too.  I suppose Android should work.
Some external libraries are needed for networking, graphcis, etc.  The
ITS build script uses expect.