[ih] Today’s Internet Still Relies on an ARPANET-Era Protocol: The Request for Comments (Steve Crocker)

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Fri Aug 7 21:54:47 PDT 2020

Jack Haverty wrote:
> Believe it.  I just logged  into the ITS system MIT-DM (Arpanet host 0,
> IMP 6)

It's software from MIT-AI , and it doesn't have the IMP interface.
Sorry, the telnet implementation is on the host machine and goes to the
terminal ports.

> The network address is a little different.  But Telnet and FTP still
> work fine.   Just like in 1972.

It doesn't have TCP, so I think it would have been difficult to use
those protocols from a modern machine.

Geoff Goodfellow wrote:
> btw, there is another ITS running over at the Living Computer Museum, but
> you'll need to ssh into menu at tty.LivingComputers.org to get to it. :D

There are a few more.  SV started already around 2001: sv.svensson.org.
UP is up.update.uu.se.  A new addition is HX, hactrn.org.  The first two
has the IMP interface but only a few ports are open, like 95 for SUPDUP.