[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Nov 1 09:01:58 PDT 2019

this is a totally bullshit article. For once I agree with Karl, I think.
It's basically a "what about" pivot full of irrelevance with regard to the
ARPANET and subsequent Internet developments that really were essentially
technical until commercialization entered into the picture, first with
equipment (routers/ethernet) and then services (ISPs) and then commercial
domain names and the WWW. Then social networking....

that sequence strikes me as largely orthogonal to the rant in the New
Republic.

bleah.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 11:43 AM Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> This got forwarded to me this morning:
> How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins
>
> https://newrepublic.com/article/155532/misremember-internets-origins
>
> This article seems very screedy to me.  Yeah we all knew that ARPA was a
> branch of the US Dept of Defense.  And we all knew that in at least some
> minds (especially the group I worked for, the Joint Chiefs of Staff)
> survivable communications during nuclear war were a concern.
>
> What rubs me wrong is how this article seems to try to paint people
> working on network ideas as somehow evil, somehow linked to the bad things
> such as the treatment of California indigenous peoples by the Spanish
> missionaries of the 18th century.
>
> OK, yeah, it is true that some some, and I emphasize only some, of the
> motivations for the ARPAnet tributary stream that eventually merged with
> others to for The Internet, were military and not the most politically
> correct in today's world.
>
> But there were a lot of other forces, motivations, and ideas at work.
>
> For example, pretty soon after I worked with the JCS I also started to get
> ideas coming out of Dave Farber's DCS project.  The idea of restructuring
> entire computers and operating systems around networks was something
> revolutionary to me.  And we see that idea now fruiting in the web of APIs
> now available on the net to build applications.  AWS and Google Map APIs
> are, to my mind, a direct result of Farber's DCS.
>
> The article fails to acknowledge those streams as well as the engendering
> of social networking via things like bulletin boards and Usenet.  And to
> me, that removes the foundation of credibility from the article.
>
>     --karl--

New postal address:
Google
1875 Explorer Street, 10th Floor