[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Sat Nov 2 12:47:07 PDT 2019

On 2 Nov 2019 at 12:31, Bob Hinden wrote:

> From reading this article, it would seem that BBN, who designed and
> developed the IMP, was located in Cambridge, California, not
> Massachusetts.   This was, of course, a much bigger effort than just the
> folks in California, nor was it was it only in the US.  Seems like some
> of the more recent articles on the history of the Arpanet/Internet are
> missing that.
>
> Bob (who worked at BBN in Cambridge, and now lives in California)

Speaking of California, I believe that the underlying ideas about the IP portion of
the TCP protocol was first tinkered with in the Cyclades network by folks, I
guess, in Paris CA.   BBN also developed and deployed the TIP, the first "dialup"
service on the ARPAnet.  Also not in Cambridge, CA.

 /Bernie\
            Bernie Cosell
       bernie at fantasyfarm.com
-- Too many people; too few sheep --