[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Nov 2 12:59:07 PDT 2019

Bob Kahn and I visited Louis Pouzin and his team in 1973 IIRC where we
learned about his datagram ideas in the CYCLADES/CIGALE network. TCP used
datagrams as the base but augmented the protocol to create a curated and
sequenced stream of bytes end-to-end. Around late 1977, we split IP
from TCP so as to allow non-sequenced and potentially lossy packet delivery
for low latency applications. We credited Pouzin's work in the 1974 paper
on Packet Network Intercommunications in IEEE Transactions on
Communication. We also credited Gerard LeLann who spent time at Stanford
during the detailed design of TCP and who worked on Cyclades/Cigale.

https://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall06/cos561/papers/cerf74.pdf

Acknowledgements from the 1974 paper:

The authors wish to thank a number of colleagues for helpful comments
during early discussions of international network protocols, especially R.
Metcalfe, R. Scantlebury, D. Walden, and H. Zimmerman; D. Davies and L.
Pouzin who constructively commented on the fragmentation and accounting
issues; and S. Crocker who commented on the creation and destruction of
associations.

see also: https://codepen.io/huijing/pen/gMrpYo

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 3:47 PM Bernie Cosell <bernie at fantasyfarm.com> wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2019 at 12:31, Bob Hinden wrote:
>
> > From reading this article, it would seem that BBN, who designed and
> > developed the IMP, was located in Cambridge, California, not
> > Massachusetts.   This was, of course, a much bigger effort than just the
> > folks in California, nor was it was it only in the US.  Seems like some
> > of the more recent articles on the history of the Arpanet/Internet are
> > missing that.
> >
> > Bob (who worked at BBN in Cambridge, and now lives in California)
>
> Speaking of California, I believe that the underlying ideas about the IP
> portion of
> the TCP protocol was first tinkered with in the Cyclades network by folks,
> guess, in Paris CA.   BBN also developed and deployed the TIP, the first
> "dialup"
> service on the ARPAnet.  Also not in Cambridge, CA.
>
>  /Bernie\
>             Bernie Cosell
>        bernie at fantasyfarm.com
> -- Too many people; too few sheep --