[ih] what's a level

Jorge Amodio via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Thu Nov 7 19:51:16 PST 2019

Hi Eberhard,

yes uucp was used to copy/transfer files between unix boxes, uuxqt was the
one used to send a command to execute on the remote system, actually it was
also a file transfer but processed in a different way on the receiving end.
The magic daemon performing the communication was uucico (Copy In Copy
Out,) different implementations of uucico including various transfer
protocols (which at the time we also talking about uucp protocol but it was
sort of a family,) one of them was tailored for transfers via X.25
networks, there was one using TCP/IP as transport, various versions
optimized to take advantage of the Telebit PEP Trailblazer modems, etc.

Part of the initial negotiation phase on uucico was to set the protocol,
like protocol "f" was a 7-bit used on X.25, "t" was for TCP links, "g" as
far as I remember was for packet drivers, etc.

We used uucp very extensively in those days, even for the project I was
involved in to build a global network for the Argentinean Ministry of
Foreign Affairs with all its embassies and consulates.
To be honest, uucp with all its limitations and dealing the the local
varieties of telco services around the world, ended being more effective
and more fun than  Telex :-)

Cheers
Jorge