[ih] what's a level

Jorge Amodio via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Thu Nov 7 20:00:03 PST 2019

Absolutely !!  The uucp maps, I used to admin the chunk for .AR for a
while, collecting the records of each site, send it to Mary Ann Horton,
getting the updated ones from uunet and running pathalias every day, what a
pain !!

Yes UUCP had several programs, uuxqt was to send a request for remote
execution. The original uuxqt only permitted execution at the host on the
other side of the "connection." We tweaked it to pass the ball along a path.

Mail was simple a file transfer of two files, the envelope, the body of the
message, and a remote execution of the local mail program on the remote
site.

Later it got more interesting using sendmail to digest and process the mail
queues, we also used for a while another mail processing program from the
University of Toronto, hmm was it cfmail, can't remember the name now. Not
as cryptic as the sendmail configuration but still sort of black magic
stuff, but highly efficient processing multiple queues for our old national
"gateway"

It was fun ... we had some SPAM during those days, but mostly came in metal
cans :-)

Cheers
Jorge