[ih] inter-network communication history

Craig Partridge via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Fri Nov 8 09:54:36 PST 2019

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 10:20 AM John Day <jeanjour at comcast.net> wrote:

> You told me once the implementation was smaller. Also, I also know from
> Randy Presuhn that the CMIP implementation was smaller than SNMP as well.
> It seemed that lexicographical order takes more code that object-oriented.
> For me, HEMS would have been a better way forward.  A few years earlier
> IEEE 802 had tried a protocol like SNMP and found it inferior, which is why
> CMIP was done.  Also that HEMS used TCP for request/response and UDP for
> events was simply sane, rather than trying to do everything over UDP. In
> which case, GetNest is unnecessary. The inability to get a snapshot of
> anything large-ish was a real problem.

Your recollection is better than mine.  I have a vague recollection that
the initial SNMP implementations were large because they had some ASN
library or code generator that generated volumes of code, while HEMS had a
much tighter handwritten ASN.1 module.  I don't know if that would have
been true in perpetuity.

> A further advantage would have been had by CMIP since it could use the
> Packed-Encoding Rules for ASN.1 rather than having to use the Basic
> Encoding Rules wired into SNMP.  PER was sufficiently efficient that often
> compressing a PER encoding was larger.

BER was wired into HEMS to support the private MIBs.

Craig

--
*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and