[ih] inter-network communication history

Jack Haverty via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Fri Nov 8 11:16:28 PST 2019

Thanks, Craig - that fills in some detail from after I "lost track".
But I'm still not sure if it's Simple Networks, Simple Management, or
Simple Protocol....

My use of the term "NMP" was probably misleading - it was more of a
concept than a Protocol.  At the time, whenever you started a new
project, one of the obvious first tasks was to define the necessary
protocol.  NMP might better expand to Network Management Principles -
the concepts, techniques, mechanisms, and tools that had developed over
the previous decade of ARPANET operations.

In ARPANET operations, I wasn't there until 1977 but there were lots of
horror stories from that first decade of operational experience that fed
into thinking about managing the neonatal Internet.  There had been
situations in the ARPANET such as some minor problem somewhere that
would flood the network with management traffic as every node that
noticed a problem had to yell "Fire! Fire!" strongly and continuously.
The NMP (Principles) had evolved to preclude such events.

I still think of that ARPANET "NMP" experience as the ultimate source
leading to the later work on management in the Internet.  But that's
just what I saw from my viewpoint, so there were probably other
contemporaneous sources of inspiration as well.  Maybe someone will
write about those too.  E.G., how did Xerox do such things in their
internet universe...?  Or maybe Novell?

Some other factoids I recalled:

    - The original ARPANET management software at BBN was called "U",
for Utilities.  Later we developed a successor tool, cleverly called
"NU", for New Utilities.   I'm pretty sure that the Internet management
was integrated into NU when the NOC assumed 24x7 operations responsibility.

    - There was another possibly related project I ran at BBN in the
early 80s called "Remote Site Maintenance" or RSM.  This involved doing
SysAdmin tasks remotely, managing a bunch of Unix systems that had no
local expertise at their remote sites.   For extra flavor, those Unix
systems were all Navy machines in classified environments, which added a
lot of pragmatic complexity.   You couldn't just ssh in to the Unix
console as root....  That project is somewhat documented in the BBN
CCRs.  I suspect the experience fed into the subsequent work involving
"Host Management".

---------

While I'm thinking of it, here's a little more Internet history, early
1990s.  This time it's from my "outsider" perspective, i.e., as a mere
User, just trying to use this newfangled internet stuff.

When I joined Oracle in 1990, our group had responsibility for
development of Internet-related products, and also for
operating/managing the corporate internal internet (intranet?).  At the
time, it was pretty sizable, with nodes (most, maybe all, Cisco routers)
in ~100+ countries, growing rapidly.   There were virtually no
management tools available so operating our internet was like driving
blindfolded from fire to fire.   Of course we couldn't even look at the
router or hosts' TCP/IP code!   That's how users saw the Internet...

I dove back into the Internet world, from the "outside", to see what
kind of tools were around.  It was harder then since TimBL hadn't
invented the Web yet.   I found some of the old familiar tools, e.g.,
traceroute, ping, tcpdump, and flakeway but not much else.   There were
lots of documents (RFCs et al), but little code to be found.

Since Oracle's mission was to provide software on any computer you
liked, we had at least one of every kind of computer you can imagine.
Our data center was kaleidoscopic rather than all blue or red or
whatever color the manufacturer picked.   I noticed that a mechanism
(MIB?) had been defined for getting information out of a TCP on a host
-- but didn't find a single computer that seemed to have implemented it.

Two of us sat down one day and started playing with the tools we found
in some Unix system (probably a Sun workstation) - mainly SNMP basics,
something like "snmpget", "snmpput" or such.

We made up some shell scripts that collected information continuously
from all of our cisco routers scattered around the world, and simply
stuffed it all into a database.  A MIB in database lingo is akin to a
"schema" and the contents are just data, so it was a natural use for a
database.  A few more shell scripts collected things like ping data for
roundtrip times and it all went into the database.   Curiously, I don't
recall that we had to deal with ASN.1, but maybe I've suppressed such
memories.

Of course there were lots of tools developed over the years in the
database world to analyze, manipulate, compare, and display data, and to
create new data such as trends and predictions.  Data becomes Information.

We also had lots of people who knew how to use those tools.   I think it
took a few days to put together a very useful NOC/NCC that included
things like real-time display of network behavior, traffic history and
trends, and the like.  Much of that time involved setting up more
workstations to make a wall of displays.  The software was mostly a few
pages of shell scripts and fragments of SQL.

That experience made me realize that much of the work of "managing
internets" is about manipulating data, and that there was lots of
off-the-shelf software available for making raw network data into useful
management information.

I wish we had realized that 10 years earlier.  It might have greatly
simplified many things in addition to internet management. E.g., DNS
could readily be characterized as a distributed database.  Even the
routing mechanism of gateways can be viewed as a distributed database.

But I, at least, never had databases "on my radar", and I don't recall
anyone else in the Internet community ever mentioning databases as
possible components in any system, or offering any database-world
techniques for consideration (e.g., "two-phase commit").    We didn't
speak that language.  Perhaps that's because we never encountered them
in school so didn't know much about them.  Also, the Internet community
seemed inclined to shun technologies from the "Real World", except
sometimes for hardware and operating systems.

The History of The Internet is also about Roads Not Taken (with
apologies to Robert Frost...)

/Jack Haverty