[ih] Internet/Wireless Principle of Levelness

Dave Taht via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Mon Nov 11 08:31:03 PST 2019

Joly MacFie via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
writes:

> There appears to have been something of an of an open-source epiphany at
> AT&T when it comes to 5G.
>
> https://about.att.com/story/2019/open_compute_project.html

I looked into the software stack required for this and shuddered. A
zillion pieces glued together by their marketing department.

And - of course! it's got the "deep buffers" providers require.

“Our early lab testing of Jericho2 DDC white boxes has been extremely encouraging,” said Michael Satterlee, vice president of Network Infrastructure and Services at AT&T. “We chose the Broadcom Jericho2 chip because it has the deep buffers, route scale, and port density service providers require. The Ramon fabric chip enables the flexible horizontal scale-out of the DDC design. We anticipate extensive applications in our network for this very modular hardware design.”