[ih] SDC IMP?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Mar 12 08:40:07 PDT 2019

Hmmm, I managed some of the computers (PDP 11/40 then 45 then 70) used
by the "continuous speech recognition" project.  The name I remember is
Iris Kameny (sp).  Billy Breckenridge also worked on it. I also remember
the name Mort Bernstein.  (We had a really nice soundproof room and
graphical displays - it was used in a movie about searching for bigfoot.
;-)  Those machines weren't hooked to an IMP.

I believe that we did have a "Santa Barbara box" - which, if I remember
correctly was an IBM channel-to-IMP interface - from Roland Bryan's crew
at ACC in Santa Barbara.   That was "owned" by Lee Mo (or Moho?).  But
it seemed to be not in use during my time, although there was a lot of
active work being done on one of the IBM 360 machines (probably the /67)
that used a lot of LISP stuff.  I can't remember the name of the person
who ran that project, but I do remember he smoked really foul cigars and
had a sofa in his office that was utterly saturated with cigar smoke.

The networking and operating system R&D group at SDC wasn't all that
large and we were all concentrated into one floor of the main building
(until we expanded into a secured space in the Q7 building (named after
the Q7 SAGE computer) for the Blacker secure OS and networking project
later in the 1970's.)

I found (and bought) a book about SDC, but it barely touches on
networking at all.

     --karl--