[ih] DMARC [was "Father of e-Marketing"]

Chuq Von Rospach chuqvr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 18:28:36 PDT 2019

On June 5, 2019 at 5:33:05 PM, Cosell Bernie (bernie at fantasyfarm.com) wrote:

That reminds me: what happened to the IPv4 apocalypse? Is there a plan,
yet, for
phasing out IPv4?

It's still imminent, as it has been for (*quick google search*) about 9
years now.

Seriously, there are regions that are depleted. But we still seem to figure
out how to keep things from collapsing. Sort of like email. Really smart
people seem to figure it out on the fly.

I've gotten confused about this DMARC. I didn't think it had *anything* to
do
with blocking bad guys, but little more than protecting the "reputation" of
the
good guys.

Google started asking people to reject DMARC failures in 2016, and I think
started doing so inbound in 2018. I have been able to avoid going elbow
deep in email since I left Strongmail (12 years ago. sigh, I'm old) so I'm
not totally up on the details of things any more (thank god).

And it has the side effect of kinda breaking mailing lists [as we
discovered with
Vint's email]. Help me understand how DMARC slows down the bad guys.

Not necessarily. It can be done. This looks like a decent guide:

But honestly, I stopped running my own long ago, too. Used Yahoo Groups
longer than it deserved, now I use groups.io, and it's wonderful and
painless (and written by the guy who wrote the software Yahoo bought and
turned into Yahoo Groups). That way, someone else has to think about it for
me...

Chuq Von Rospach - http://www.chuqui.com
Email: chuqvr at gmail.com
Twitter: @chuq