[ih] Internet addressing history section

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Feb 13 20:27:15 PST 2019

On 2/13/19 8:57 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> I seem to find myself kind of lonely in wanting to discuss the competing
> impact of netbui and ipx/spx before 2004 or so. I can't be the only one
> who's primary intro to networking was via those protocols? They seem to
> get short shrift today....

I'd be interested in hearing / reading such discussions.

Does the "Internet History" mailing list mean that it's Internet
Protocol /centric/?  Or is it okay to segue into other protocols that
(at least once upon a time) had large global network presence?  If the
latter is the case, then I think IPX/SPX, NetBIOS (NetBEUI), Banyan
VINES, SNA, AppleTalk, DECnet, you name it have some room to be
discussed.  But that's based on an "if" that I'm not qualified to answer.

> Anyway, although I can add a lot more to the arpanet portion of the
> history section, and probably will, my current working draft of the
> history section of this document is now up here:
>
> https://github.com/dtaht/ipv4-cleanup/blob/master/rfcs/draft-gilmore-taht-v4uniext.txt#L117

$ReadingList++

> Feel free to make suggestions for more (or less!) content, comment as to
> my mental state, ancestry, naivety, and overall correctness of the cites -
> I note that the last cite I added today was rfc1925, which really should
> get cited more often.

;-)

--
Grant. . . .