[ih] Internet addressing history section

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Feb 13 21:13:59 PST 2019

Grant Taylor <internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net> writes:

> On 2/13/19 8:57 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
>> I seem to find myself kind of lonely in wanting to discuss the competing
>> impact of netbui and ipx/spx before 2004 or so. I can't be the only one
>> who's primary intro to networking was via those protocols? They seem to
>> get short shrift today....
>
> I'd be interested in hearing / reading such discussions.
>
> Does the "Internet History" mailing list mean that it's Internet
> Protocol /centric/?  Or is it okay to segue into other protocols that
> (at least once upon a time) had large global network presence?  If the
> latter is the case, then I think IPX/SPX, NetBIOS (NetBEUI), Banyan
> VINES, SNA, AppleTalk, DECnet, you name it have some room to be
> discussed.  But that's based on an "if" that I'm not qualified to answer.

Seeing the history here as IP vs OSI is the dominant thread is a pretty
common version of the history. But IP barely registered on my conciousness
until the arrival of trumpet winsock for windows in 1994, and from
where I sat most of the protocols above had had a good shot at global
dominance.

I am thinking now that perhaps all the events right around the 1992
timeframe (the ROAD group, CIDR, NAT, the kobe debate and near split
between the IAB and IETF) were *the* inflection point where IPv4 became
inevitable not only over OSI but the other protocols.

So I shall go seeking elsewhere for what "moves" were happening in
IPX/SPX and netbui lands.  Novell's stock price peaked in 1992,
never to recover:

http://www.1stock1.com/1stock1_214.htm